Asha’s services and practical support help a wide range of people.
Our workers and volunteers are all involved because of a shared commitment to the rights of asylum seekers and refugees to live with dignity and security.
Every day brings fresh challenges and Asha relies on local and asylum volunteers to help with a variety of tasks which include:
- Administrative duties in the office;
- Preparing food for events and meetings;
- Sorting out clothing and food;
- Maintaining computers;
- Tutoring people who need help with email and the internet;
- Assisting Asha’s clubs and other activities;
- Staffing the centre;
- Teaching English and mentoring asylum seekers through conversational English;
- Raising money to support activities and trips;
- Befriending an individual or family;
- Accompanying an asylum seeker to a hospital appointment or an immigration hearing;
- Collecting food from Lichfield or Newcastle food banks, when it becomes available.
Volunteers are inducted and receive training in safeguarding and are encouraged to attend training and other special events.